An operation theatre is a sterile room where delicate surgical operations are carried out. Operation theatre is also known as operating room or operation suite. Operation rooms should be spacious, easy to clean and well maintained. Usually operation theaters have a single door for entry and exit and are window less. Automated systems for temperature and humidity control are installed inside.
Operation theatre rooms are equipped with oxygen, suction and other gases. Major equipment consist of a table called an operation table and an anesthesia cart. Surgical instruments are arranged in a surgical tray. Disposable items are placed in a container. There is a scrubbing area just adjacent to an operation tray where the nurses, doctors and surgeons are required to scrub themselves (before entry). Visitors are strictly not allowed in the operation theatre so waiting chairs for the patient’s visitors are also placed outside the operation theatre.
- Operation table: placed in the center of the room
- Operation room lights: installed above the table.
- Anesthesia machine: placed on the head of the operation table. This machine helps the patient in breathing while the surgery is being carried out.
- Anesthesia cart: placed right next to the machine. The cart contains important equipment that is required during the surgery.
- Sterile instruments placed in a surgical tray usually made out of stainless steel.
- Automatic blood pressure machine
- Specialized heart lung machines or other machines that are specific to the surgery being performed.